Most people who are pretty comfortable with their computers just dive in, follow the prompts and submit their stories, but I always like a preview of a new procedure, so—in case you do, too—here it is!
We know we work with Internet Explorer (version 6 or later), Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. From your browser, go to www.glimmertrainpress.com, but—before you log in—this is a good course of action:
- Choose your category. You can make your decision based on the Glimmer Train writing guidelines.
- Our submission process works well with these file types: .DOC, .RTF, .TXT, .WPS. You can try other file types as long as they have no images. This is particularly useful info if you have a .docx file.
- Know where, on your computer, your file is so you can find it when you "browse" to upload it.
- If you plan on providing a cover letter (totally optional), it's smart to get that written and ready to copy and paste in place at the site, when you are offered that option. (If the system thinks you're dawdling, it will sometimes unceremoniously time you out, which can be a disappointment, but just means you'll have to log in and start over.
- If you're entering a contest which requires reading fees, have your visa/mc at hand and know the credit card billing address. (Our system is very secure, requires an exact match of street number and zip code.) The standard category requires no reading fees.
When you've got those ducks in line, you're ready to log in and submit your story!
If you have not yet established a secure account for yourself at the site, click on GETTING STARTED on that page. A good user-name choice is the email address you routinely use. If you've already set up your account, just log in! (Forgotten your username and/or password? Click on Need a Password Reminder? just below the red LOGIN button.)
After you log in, this is what you'll do:
- Click on New Submission, then click on the NAME of the category to which you want to submit. (Clicking on the guidelines doesn't get you to where you actually submit.)
- Type your title in the Story Title box.
- Upload your story (don't worry, it doesn't suck the file out of your computer, it just copies it up into our reading queue), OR, if the story is under 5,000 words, you can just copy and paste it in place. (Before you complete the submission, take the opportunity to preview before finalizing, to confirm that you've sent the story you intended, and, in the case of a .docx file, that it came through in full.)
- If you've prepared a cover letter, copy and paste it in place.
- Then continue to follow the prompts (it will ask you for your visa/mc info, if required) until you see this message: Your Submission Is Complete. Thank you!
- Then click on My Submissions (upper left corner) and you'll see your story in the queue! If it's there, all is well!
- One last thing: You'll be getting a confirmation email within 3 hours. If you don't, check your junk-mail folder, and let your email program know it's not junk. (Same thing, by the way, goes for the 1st of each month when you'll be getting one of our bulletins.)
Remember that if online submissions aren't for you for any reason, you can always use postal mail. Here are our snail-mail instructions.
And don't worry. There is always a one-week grace period for all submissions so if you're having to submit a story at the last minute for any reason, as long as the story is on its way within 7 days of the close of that contest, you're fine.
We look forward to reading your work!